Mentoring and Support
Who is mentoring for?
Anyone can benefit from mentoring support, particularly when working in general practice, where:
- most work (ie consultations) is carried out in professional isolation
- doctors are often dealing with psychological issues, but have no supervision structure in place
It can be especially useful for:
- recently qualified GPs
- those who don’t benefit from peer support in the practice(s) where they work
- GPs preparing for appraisal or planning a personal CPD programme post appraisal
- those considering work change (eg career development or breaks, changing practices, developing a portfolio career etc)
- GPs under particular stress or experiencing difficulties at work
Note that the mentoring scheme is also open to others working in Primary Care, including nurses, practices managers and others for whom it is of interest.
We work in the geographical areas covered by Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire PCTs.
Types of mentoring
There are 3:
- Group mentoring
How to find out more
Initially contact Jo Hennessy.
- Put you in touch with a potential mentor or co-mentor
- Provide training in mentoring skills (this can also be done for practices)
- Give you information about existing mentoring support groups or help you to set up a new one
- There is no charge for information and advice given by email or over the phone.
- Training in mentoring skills will be charged according to the number of participants and the venue used.
- Membership of a mentoring group is free of charge.
- Payment to a mentor is negotiable direct with him/her.
Our next three courses are...
Tue, 30 Apr 2019 - Nuffield Chesterfield Hospital
Short topics in gynaecology
Wed, 01 May 2019 - Engineers' House
LBGTQ issues & gender reassignment - conversation with Laura Hinchliffe
Fri, 03 May 2019 - Avon LMC
View and book courses...
What we offer...
- Access to our full programme of courses
- Interactive, case-based sessions focused on primary care learning needs
- Online booking system
- Facility to input your learning needs when booking onto a course
- Monthly NQGP evening meetings
- Annual membership